Materuni Water Falls Day Tour
Materuni is the home of the Chagga tribe and is still an authentic tribal village. This charming place is just 15km away from Moshi Town and is the last village before the Kilimanjaro National Park.
The crystal clear water of the springs is perfectly refreshing and you may take a plunge via a rope from the trees, slowly wade into the water from the side, or just relax in the shade of the trees.
This fully guided tour gives you the chance to get up close and personal with the best of Materuni Water Falls, while logistics and all operations are taken care of, for you.
- Departure and Return Place: We can start/end this tour from any hotel in Moshi/Arusha or from Kilimanjaro International Airport(Google Map)
- Departure Time: Please be ready by 8:15 AM for a prompt departure at 8:30 AM.
- Return Time: Approximately 4:30 PM in the evening.
- Dress Code: Casual. Comfortable athletic clothing, hat, spare clothing.
- Customization: Can be amended/customized upon request, to suit your requirements
- Extensions: Trip Extensions are available on request
- Season: All year round
- Your own private guide and driver for in-depth cultural touring based on your interests
- Firsthand, sophisticated destination knowledge and recommendations from our locally born travel specialists
- Around-the-clock support from your travel designer and concierge before, during, and after your trip
List of activities at Materuni village
- Pass through coffee and banana plantation.
- Chance of meeting a variety of primates including Black and white Colobus monkeys.
- Explanation about local people/life and tradition of Chagga people
- Enjoying the nature of the slopes of Mount Kilimanjaro
- Explanation of different flowers
- Visit the waterfalls, get the explanation and enjoy swimming if you like to.
- Hiking up to the boundary of mount Kilimanjaro national park 2400m
- Learn how to make local coffee and drink your own made coffee
- The best viewpoint for the snow peak of Mt. Kilimanjaro if not covered by clouds
The tour starts with a walk to Materuni Waterfall. It is an opportunity to see how local fruit like avocados, mangos, lemons, and bananas grow, as well as learn some of the local history, traditions, village economy, and agricultural and cultural life. When you get to the waterfall, you can refresh yourself in the natural pool, so swimsuits will come in handy!
The tour will continue with a visit to the local village lying in the coffee plantations. The villagers will demonstrate the process of coffee farming and guide you through the preparation of coffee from a bean to a cup. Sing and dance along with the Chaga people as they are grinding, roasting, and boiling the beans. When the coffee is ready, villagers will serve a nice lunch, and local ‘mama’s’ will be more than happy to prepare some of their favorite Chagga dishes for you. Banana stew, pilau, or rice and beans are only a few of the options.